The following is the required criteria to enter the program:
- A minimum of a bachelor’s degree (conferred) with an acceptable average. For applicants with a bachelor’s degree from overseas, the conferred degree must be equivalent to a 3-year Canadian bachelor’s degree.
- English facility requirements, where applicable (see English Facility Requirements below).
- Personal suitability for the program.
English Facility Requirements
In addition to satisfying the academic requirements, candidates will be required to present proof of English facility if their mother tongue is not English and they have not:
Satisfactorily completed a minimum three-year Bachelor’s degree or a graduate degree with English as the language of instruction at a university in Canada.
Satisfactorily completed a minimum three-year Bachelor’s degree or a graduate degree in an English language school system* at a university outside Canada.
Satisfactorily completed grades 6-12 in Canada (each grade completed in one full school year), including minimum English Grade 12 score of at least 70%.
*An English language school system is one that is located in a country where English is the official language for primary, secondary and tertiary levels of education, as well as for government and commerce, and where all instruction is in English, except for language courses.
Note: Applicants whose first language is not English and who have university degrees from universities that are not in English-speaking school systems are required to submit English language proficiency scores.
Still have questions about whether you need to submit English proficiency test scores? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions sheet below.
Proof of English facility is demonstrated by achieving acceptable scores in one of the following five options* (scores are valid for 2 years after the test date):
(1) Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL
- http://www.ielts.org/TOEFL iBT: Minimum requirement is a total score of 102, with at least 24 in Reading, 24 in listening, 27 in speaking and 27 in Writing. The TOEFL Institution Code for the University of Toronto is 0982-00. You must list this code correctly, or we will not receive your result. Website: www.toefl.org
(2) International English Language Testing System (IELTS) Academic Version
- The minimum requirement is an overall band of 7, an oral score of 8, with no band score below 7. Website: www.ielts.org
(3) Michigan English Language Assessment Battery (MELAB)
- The minimum requirement is a score of at least 87 in composition, listening and reading. Candidates must also achieve at least 4- in speaking. Website: www.cambridgemichigan.org/melab
(4) Canadian Test of English for Scholars and Trainees (CanTEST)
- The minimum requirement is a score of at least 4.5 in listening, reading and writing, and 5 in speaking. Website: www.cantest.uottawa.ca
(5) Canadian Academic English Language Assessment (CAEL)
- The minimum score required to meet our English facility requirement is an overall score of 70 and the following part scores Listening: 70 Reading: 70 Writing: 70 Speaking: 70 Website: www.cael.ca
*Prospective students with disabilities that prevent them from taking language facility testing in regular conditions should contact the respective testing centres to inquire about their policies on special accommodations for students with disabilities. It is the student’s responsibility to inquire about the policies of the testing institutions.